Never say, “Never”, is the adage. “Not me, Jesus, I’ll never forsake you!!” Watch out!
Judges 2:17 KJV “And yet they would not hearken unto their judges, but they went a whoring after other gods, and bowed themselves unto them: they turned quickly out of the way which their fathers walked in, obeying the commandments of the LORD; but they did not so.”
Judges 2:17 MSG “But they wouldn’t listen to their judges; they prostituted themselves to other gods–worshiped them! They lost no time leaving the road walked by their parents, the road of obedience to GOD’s commands. They refused to have anything to do with it”.
It’s this phrase, “they went a whoring after other gods” in the King James Version that really stands out to me. It has such an in-your-face connotation to it. God wanted to bless, protect, and meet every need of the children of Israel, but as they forsook the Lord to go after these other gods they actually found themselves in an unexpected predicament. Isn’t that the way sin always is? Because they wouldn’t listen to the deliverers God had raised-up…
1. They ended-up bowing down to who they prostituted themselves to.
• 2Peter 2:19 They promise them freedom while they themselves are slaves of destructive habits—for we are slaves of anything that has conquered us. GNB
• I’m sure the first few times a person uses Crack Cocaine thinks it’s pretty fun, but then he finds himself “bowing down” to it. It has become his new master.
2. They took an unmarked off-ramp to leave the highway their forefathers walked-in.
• How sad when someone has once walked on the road of obeying God’s commandments and then leaves for something, (or someone) else. God’s Word is our “Road map” as we live in this world.
3. Their attitude became a reinforced snobbery of rebellion against God.
• It’s a sad day when a person has gone so far that they thumb their nose at the One who did so much for them. This type of warped thinking doesn’t just automatically happen. It starts with a glance, with a subtle temptation, with a person who’s already done it, and there’s an unexplained attraction. But in the process Satan is sliding on the hand-cuffs, and there will be no escape unless the victim cried out to the Lord from the heart. [Judges 2:18].
When we leave our 1st Love [Rev. 2:4] to go a whoring after other gods it has ghastly results. God’s desire is for us to stay in perpetual communion with Him and to walk according to His Word.
Daily Bible Reading: Judges 1-3